Sunday, April 3, 2011

some things I made this week

Here are two of my favorite recipes from the week. As expected I did eat some delicious food on my day off with Rubin, but mostly I did stick to my Eat More Plants plan.

Sweet Potato Shephards Pie
The crust: 1 sweet potato, steamed, peeled and mashed

The filing: Corn, black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, one zucchini, cup of  plain yogurt

I put sautéed the filing in a cast iron pan and when cool, added the plain yogurt and spread the potato over the whole thing. I made this the night before; come dinner time, I cooked it uncovered at 350 until heated through.

It was good hot topped with grated cheese, and good cold the next day for lunch. I just took some out of the freezer for Monday's lunch, and I'm excited about it.

Frijole Mole
I got some less than perfect green beans from my co-op's kitchen basket. I adapted this dish --and borrowed the clever name-- from a Barbra Kingsolver recipe. If you haven't yet read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle  you should.

So I steamed a handful of the green beans and threw them in the food processor with one green onion, some cilantro, garlic powder, lime juice and salt. Avery helped and really went crazy with the lime juice, and it was delicious. I served it with pretzels because it was a Friday and my cabinets were looking a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment